Can Alcohol Addiction Lead to a Behavioral Addiction?
Does alcohol addiction make you more likely to develop behavioral addictions, such as gambling, shopping, or exercise addiction? Studies say yes.
An international research team from Yale University looked at various factors that contribute to the onset of addiction. They found that several genes and their variants can trigger both substance use disorders and the onset of other types of addictive behaviors. That means a couple of things:
- Addiction can be linked to genetics (evidence for which can be found in multiple studies).
- Those genes may influence other types of addictions as well, including behavioral addictions like gambling or exercise addiction.
In short, someone who is struggling with alcohol addiction may be prone to having an addiction of another type.
How to Get Help for Multiple Addictions
As you read this, you may realize that you could have more than one addiction. For example, you may be using alcohol as a tool to help you with life’s challenges. At the same time, you may be so focused on your social media sites that you push off other activities and responsibilities. Or, perhaps you spend much of your time gaming that your work or relationships are compromised.
When you have multiple potential addictions, it’s important to reach out for comprehensive help. Even if there is a genetic risk factor for you, treatment for addiction is possible.
Treatment for multiple addictions at Victory Addiction Recovery Center can be highly effective. During this process, we will work with you in the following ways:
- Help you recognize and address any current addictive behaviors.
- Tailor a treatment plan to meet the individual addictions you have.
- Educate you on what’s happening and how addictive behaviors create a chemical imbalance in your brain.
- Help you go through drug detox when it is necessary to do so. Detoxing from all addictions can be done in a controlled environment.
- Teach you to become aware of your behaviors and the underlying cause of them, such as intensifying stress or trauma, and help you cope with these conditions more effectively.
- Set you up to continue ongoing therapy to help you to recover and maintain your mental well-being.
Developing a treatment program for multiple addictions is more complex but far from impossible. Whether substance or behavioral, addictions arise from the same source: a combination of genetic, environmental, physical, and psychological factors. When these are addressed holistically, through a combination of different types of therapies and other interventions, possibly including medication, you will be able to create a new life for yourself that is not defined by compulsive behavior or physical dependence on a substance.
Taking the first step is the most important one. Recognize there’s a need to change and an opportunity to heal. Then, let our therapy team work with you to create a highly effective treatment program.
Let Victory Addiction Recovery Center Help You
Victory Addiction Recovery Center is here to help you. Set up a consultation to discuss your situation with our addiction admissions counselors. Our treatment center in Lafayette, LA, can help.
Share This Post: